Cranford House was founded over 80 years ago, in 1931 by Miss WE Laurence. She started the school in her Oxfordshire home, Cranford House, to teach one pupil, Billy Higgs, the son of a local couple from Blewbury.
Billy came to her home every day for his lessons. In 1934 three more pupils arrived, whose ages spanned from 4-6 years and so, Miss Laurence opened a Nursery Room to teach these ‘babies'. By 1936 the school had outgrown the three rooms and so the first, official school building made its appearance.
The school developed so much over the next twenty years that a separate site was purchased across the road from Cranford House. In 1961, when the traffic on the A329 had become so busy as to endanger the lives of the girls who had to cross it everyday to attend lessons, Miss Laurence decided to move the school entirely to the new site based around a courtyard with a willow tree in the centre.
Today, the School still resides on that new site and comprises a purpose built Nursery, Reception, Junior School and a Senior Block and educates over 390 pupils.